The good thing with rearing French bulldogs is that they don’t require a special diet and can eat human foods. Their daily feed should provide at least 25-30 calories per pound of their overall body weight.
Poor nutrition is mostly associated with certain medical conditions for both man and animals, but for the French bulldogs, their case is peculiar. Frenchie’s have a muscular body, their heads are square-shaped and large and have a soft and loose coat forming wrinkles. This type of body structure predisposes the French bulldogs to low activity and makes them susceptible to certain medical conditions.
It is, however, highly unusual for a French bulldog to develop medical complications because of a poor diet but that does not mean it shouldn’t be given the best foods. On a normal day, a French bulldog diet should include, fats which are a necessary form of energy, and omega fatty acids that help with the skin and coat. They also need high-quality animal protein that can be sourced from meat, fish, and poultry. Below is a compilation of the best food to feed French bulldog, keep reading.
Check on Amazon
Royal Canin French Bulldog Adult Breed Specific
Protein and L-Carnitine
Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dog Food
ORIJEN Dry Dog Food
All life stages
Farmers Market Pet Food
High in proteins, dietary fiber, potassium, vitamin A and C
Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Dry Dog Food
For Adult dogs
Glucosamine + Chondroitin, Omega-6 + Omega-3
Nulo Adult Dog Food
For Adult dogs
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Canned Dog Food Variety Bundle
Proteins and Carbohydrates
Best food to feed French bulldog
Royal Canin French bulldog food has been specially formulated for use by pure-breed dogs, the food kibbles are available in unique shapes, and sizes and will, therefore, suit the different types of dog’s facial and jaw structures. The kibble shapes will also suffice the biting patterns of dogs, as they normally pick up the kibbles differently.
For the French bulldog’s dry foods are a good option, simply because they can be stored and are cheap when compared to other canned or wet foods. Royal Canin offers a decent amount of proteins to French bulldog per feed, and the included L-carnitine will help with fat metabolism and weight management. Remember that L-Carnitine is only found in animal-based protein sources and that is why its inclusion in Royal Canin makes the kibbles nutritionally healthy for the French bulldogs.
Dry kibble foods are also problematic as their water content is low, so if you will settle with the Royal Canin ensure that you give your dog enough water. On the flip side, Royal Canin will reinforce the skin barrier, with the essential nutrients and help support healthy wrinkles and Skin.
- Helps reduce your dog’s gas and stool odor
- The kibbles are easy to digest
- The added proteins help maintain muscle mass
- And also helps promote healthy skin
- Can lead to excessive weight gain
- The French bulldog food is expensive
Purina pro plan high protein dog food has been formulated to offer a precise protein to fat ratio, and which helps maintain the ideal body condition. Even better is that it has been fortified with live probiotics that will enhance your French bulldog’s digestive and immune health. The hard kibbles from Purina pro plan dog food have incorporated shredded pieces for taste and with the texture that dogs love.
Among the foods first ingredient is real chicken, other real meats found in the dog food but in form of kibbles are such as poultry, beef, lamb, and salmon. The kibbles are especially crunchy and your French bulldog will enjoy its feeding time, what’s more, is that the shredded tender pieces offer a delicious taste and have an appealing texture.
The dog food also contains live probiotics that help enhance digestive and immune health. The natural prebiotic fiber nourishes certain types of intestinal bacteria and which improves digestive health.
- Good for dogs that experience digestive problems with other brands
- The dog food releases a nice aroma
- The dog food comes highly recommended by the veterinarians
- It is a good quality food
- Goes bad pretty fast
- Presence of mealworms and critters
If you are looking to furnish your dog with high animal protein then Orijen dry dog food is what you should invest in, because it contains up to 85% premium animal ingredients. Orijen will provide your dog with the essential vitamins, proteins, and minerals. Feeding your French bulldog with the Orijen kibble is the closest you can get to feeding it with raw foods because it has been made with 15 fresh or raw ingredients in every recipe.
Other benefits that your dog will derive from the kibble are the animal inclusions such as cartilage, meat, organs, and bone that are nutritionally dense. Dogs are sensitive to the foods that are fed to them and will not quickly take into any food that is introduced to them, thus you want to give them enough time to transition and adjust to the new food.
- Can be taken by dogs of all ages
- Awesome dog food for picky feeders
- The kibbles are good for training because dogs love them
- Has not included grains thus healthy for dogs
- It is expensive if you will be feeding your dog frequently
- Some dogs develop issues when they eat the kibble
Farmer’s market dog food has been enriched with minerals and vitamins that help support strong bones and helps strengthen teeth. The Kibbles are characteristic of 100% quality meat and vegetables, besides the Farmer’s market pet foods are nutritiously balanced that is why the kibbles offer nutrients from both vegetables and meat.
The foods are additionally prepared with the advanced Macro infusion technology that infuses the kibbles with nutrients through the addition of tasty vegetables that maximizes the flavor. Another benefit that makes the Farmers market pet food a good choice for your French bulldog is that it helps support the digestive system thanks to the addition of the probiotic inulin.
The kibbles contain real lamb and have effectively obliterated the use of corn, wheat, and soy.
- Perfect food for picky dogs
- The food packs a healthy dose of proteins and vitamins to the dogs
- Offers a good combination of chicken and vegetables
- The dog food has a nice attractive smell
- The kibble sizes are too big
- The dog food is expensive and rarely available
Merrick is good quality food for French bulldogs because it features a precise combination of healthy grains and animal products. The incorporated whole grains supports the dog’s digestion, other benefits that can be derived from the dog food are the high levels of glucosamine and chondroitin that help support healthy hips and joints. The presence of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids is necessary for healthy skin and coat.
Merrick is made with real deboned beef, and brown rice among other ancient grains and has obliterated the use of potato, pea, and lentil. The food also packs the dog’s body with a healthy dose of anti-oxidants, to be precise a single meal of the Merrick dog food will pack your French bulldog with up to 54% of proteins and healthy fat and up to 46% of fiber vitamins and minerals.
Important to note is that as you feed your dog with the dry food, ensure to supply it with enough water to aid digestion among other metabolic activities.
- Good food for small puppies
- High-quality dog food, evident from the ingredients
- Helps dogs with dry and itchy skin
- Helps clear up the digestive system
- The dog food retails at a higher price
- Not good for all dogs
Nulo dog food contains a grain-free recipe and is, therefore, packed with up to 85% of proteins that have been derived from real meat such as turkey, salmon, lamb and which helps build strong muscles. Most dogs don’t fancy poultry food and that is why the formulation of the Nulo Adult dog food has incorporated alternative ingredients but which contain healthy proteins, such as peas.
Among the ingredients used are sweet potatoes, which is a healthy source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The Carbohydrate ingredient on dog food is exceptionally low, but with high levels of probiotics known to support healthy digestion. We recommend the Nulo adult dog food to be taken by the French bulldogs because it has obliterated the use of grains thus good for use with dogs that experience food sensitivities.
French bulldogs naturally have a compactly built body thus retaining a diet low in carbs is essential for their wellbeing. Nulo dog food is low in carbohydrates thus good for promoting lean mass.
- The dog food promotes a healthy coat and lean muscles
- The incorporated fatty acids help improve skin and coat health
- Contains 0% artificial preservatives, colors, and flavorings
- Offers up to 85% of proteins
- The dog food is highly-priced
- Causes vomiting and diarrhea in some dogs
Blue Buffalo contains naturally added vitamins and minerals thus you can be sure that the formulation will meet the high energy demands of your French bulldog. The dog food is perfect for the new French bulldog owners, as the pups are going to need foods that are rich in energy. And since their skin and coat are still developing you can be sure to find the relevant nutrients from the Blue Buffalo dog food.
Now the advantage of feeding your French bulldog with the Blue buffalo homestyle recipe is because you will be able to sample different flavors thus the meal times for your bulldogs will no longer be boring. Each can weighs 5.5 ounces, so if you purchase a total of 12 cans, you will get 6 of each flavor.
- Good for small dogs that are still developing teeth
- Good food for dogs with allergies
- The can is pretty easy to open
- Can be used by dogs with a delicate digestive tract
- The dog food is expensive
- Causes diarrhea on other dogs
Factors to consider when buying French bulldog food
- The first thing that you want to check out is whether the dog food has incorporated fillers, artificial additives, and by-products. Fillers don’t have any nutritional value for dog food, and are, therefore, not biologically appropriate for your dog. However, there are some types of good fillers such as wheat, rice, soy, and corn.
- The calorie content in dog food should also be moderate to encourage weight maintenance, especially for the French bulldogs.
- Most animal foods try to mimic their fresh counterparts, so what you will be looking out for is the lean protein in the dog food formulation. And ones that have been derived from high-quality animal sources such as fish and poultry.
- Check on the food’s fat content as it should be low to moderate and should include omega 3 fatty acids for healthy skin.
Dogs behave differently when presented with different types of foods, some will develop digestive issues, and others will experience problems with their coats. The same type of food will be good for other dogs meaning that you will have to take time and find a commercially prepared dog food that suits your French bulldog. Alternatively, you could give it fresh foods.
What foods can’t I feed my French bulldog?
French bulldogs cannot be fed, onion, chives, garlic, and leeks. They should not be fed fruits such as avocado, cooked bones corn on the cob, and peanut butter.
Do French bulldogs love wet food?
Yes, wet food is good for French bulldogs because it helps them hydrate, it is gentle on their teeth and gums, and is easy for the dogs to digest.